Progressive exercise is a critical component in the rehabilitation of dogs who are recovering from injuries or surgery, as well as aging dogs or those with neurological compromise. In healthy dogs, exercise programs are commonly called conditioning programs.
Here at The Dog Osteopath, we are committed to developing an individualised exercise program for every dog we treat. Additionally, we are able to progress and modify each exercise session to advance at the speed and comfort level of your dog.
Depending on the needs of your dog, the program may include exercises to improve:
- Leg and core muscle strength
- Joint mobility
- Balance and coordination
- Muscular and/or cardiovascular endurance
- Functional tasks like walking, sitting or jumping
Where possible, these exercises can be completed at home. In some circumstances, we may advise more regular appointments so that our staff can perform the exercises with your dog. This may be due to:
- The initial stages post-injury / post-surgery where the exercises are one part of the treatment program.
- While your dog is learning the exercises and requires more supervision
- The personal preference of the owner
If you would like to talk to us about whether an exercise program could be beneficial for your dog, please get in contact with us.